Created by Australian multi-award winning chef, author and restaurateur, Skye Gyngell and the perfect way to end a dinner party or family get together, this sweet tart also offers a satisfying crunch and unique texture thanks to the crisp pastry and farro.
For the Pastry
250g unsalted butter
2 whole eggs
For the Filling
Zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
1 vanilla bean chopped
250g buffalo ricotta
180g caster sugar
75g candied orange peel
7 organic egg yolks
Pinch of salt
For the pastry
- Place the flour in a stand mixer.
- Add the cubed, chilled butter and sugar. Blitz quickly until the butter has broken up and then add the eggs.
- As soon as the pastry has come together remove from the mixer. Mould together. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge.
- Roll out the pastry and line the tin. Chill for a further 30 minutes, then blind bake on the Fan Plus setting at 180°C for 15 minutes.
For the filling
- Place the farro, milk, lemon zest and vanilla pod in a solid steam container and cook on 100°C for 40 minutes. Add the ricotta, sugar and mixed peel and stir gently to combine.
- Place the cream, sugar and salt in a heavy bottomed pan. Bring to the boil then remove from the heat and allow to infuse for 5 minutes. Whisk the egg yolks and slowly add the warmed cream. Pour the custard into the ricotta filling and pour into the prepared tart shell. Bake until set on 150°C (approximately 25-30 minutes).