In preparation for Mother’s Day, we’ve scoured the globe for the very best ways to treat your mum – with (a lot of) help from Lola’s A Cake Journey Around the World.
This wonderful gluten-free cake is fragrant with orange and sticky with honey. Teamed with some sunshine you could almost be transported to the Greek islands! Depending on the honey you choose, this cake can be light and fragrant or dark and woody. This is entirely your preference – we like to use a floral yet mild honey.
FOR THE CAKE
23cm round loose-bottom or springform cake pan, greased and lined with baking parchment
3 small oranges (approx. weight 250g)
125g ground almonds
175g golden caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten
4½ teaspoons baking powder
225 ml Greek honey
5 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
200g thick Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons Greek honey
40g unsalted, shelled pistachio nuts
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas 6.
- Cut the oranges into pieces (without peeling) and carefully remove any pips you see. Place the oranges into a blender or food processor and purée until smooth, skin and all. Place the remaining cake ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or use a hand-held electric whisk and large mixing bowl) and beat together on medium speed until smooth. Add the orange purée and mix until fully combined. Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake pan and bake in the preheated oven for 45–55 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan while you make the syrup.
- For the syrup, place the honey, orange juice and lemon juice into a small saucepan and simmer gently over low heat for 5 minutes until slightly reduced.
- Carefully remove the slightly cooled cake from the pan and place onto a wire rack with a large baking sheet underneath. Use a cocktail stick to prick the cake all over and then carefully drizzle the honey syrup over the surface of the cake. The baking sheet underneath the rack will catch any drips (which can then be poured back over the cake once cool). Use all the syrup and then allow to cool completely.
- For the topping, casually swirl the Greek yogurt over the surface of the cooled cake, drizzle with the honey and scatter over the pistachio nuts. Any syrup left on the baking sheet under the cake can also be drizzled over the surface.
Lola’s A Cake Journey Around the World, £12.91