Try this Trapanese-style pasta dish over the weekend, it’s best served in the early summer when courgette flowers are plentiful. This dish will produce gasps of approval from family and friends when you present this on your dinner table.
Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
*2 skinless chicken breasts, preferably organic, 350 g in total
*50 g unsalted butter
*2 tablespoons olive oil
*1 small onion, thinly sliced
*200 g small courgettes, thickness of a finger, cut into thin julienne strips
*1 garlic clove, crushed
*2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh marjoram
*350 g dried tagliatelle
*a large handful of courgette flowers, thoroughly washed and stamens removed
*sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
*thinly shaved Parmesan cheese, to garnish
- Heat the grill to medium. Season the chicken and grill for 25 minutes, turning once, until golden and cooked through. Cut into evenly sized pieces and put to one side.
- Heat the butter and half the olive oil in a medium saucepan, add the onion and cook gently, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes until softened. Add the courgettes to the pan and sprinkle over the garlic, marjoram and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook for 8 minutes until the courgettes have coloured.
- Set aside a few whole courgette flowers to garnish, then roughly shred the rest and add them to the pan. Stir to mix, taste and adjust the seasoning if required.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in rolling boiling salted water until al dente. Drain the cooked pasta and tip it into the chicken mixture with the remaining oil. Serve with Parmesan cheese shavings and the reserved courgette flowers.
Flavours of Sicily by Ursula Ferrigno, published by Ryland Peters & Small, photography by David Munns © Ryland Peters & Small